The Manitoba Prostate Cancer Support Group encourages wives, partners, family and friends to attend our meetings.
We meet the 3rd Thursday of every month (except July and December) from 7 - 9 pm at the Seven Oaks Hospital Auditorium – Lelia Ave. & McPhillips Street.
Meetings are free and open to everyone. Dates and speakers are listed below.
• January 16 ......... Jodi Hyman, RH, BScN, CON(C).
Topic: "Wake-up: Cancer Related Fatigue".
• February 20 ....... Dr. Harvey Quon, Radiation Oncologist.
Topic: "Intimate Fire-Side Chat on Radiation
Options and Fractionation in Winnipeg".
• March 20 .......... Pat Trozzo, Pharmacist – Site Manager at Cancer Care Manitoba.
Topic: "PCa Drugs: What's new, What's Approved and What's Coming".
• April 17 ............ Dr. Graham Glezerson, Urologist.
Topic: "Hormone Therapy and the Side Effects".
• May 15 ............ John Dyck, HIFU patient 2010.
Topic: "High Intensity Focused Ultrasound Treatment: My Story".
• June 19 ............ Dr. Ainslie Mihalchuk, Family Physician,
CMO & Director of Family Medicine Concordia Hospital
Topic: "How You Can Help Yourself".
• July 17 ............. NO MEETING.
• August 21 ....... Dr. Sabine Mai, PhD. Director,
Genomic Centre for Cancer Research & Diagnosis.
Topic: "Tracking Tumor Cells to Individualize Treatment".
• September 16.. Prostate Cancer Awareness Evening
– Caboto Centre – 1055 Wilkes Ave.
Presenters: Dr. Kevin Saunders, Family Physician
Dr. Darryl Drachenberg, Urologist
• October 16 ..... Greg Harochaw, Pharmacist
Topic: "Testosterone Levels and Erectile Dysfunction Options".
• November 20 .... Pot Luck Party Time
Entertainment: Campfire Junkies
• December 18 .. NO MEETING
The first hour of our meeting is open discussion where members share information about their particular stage of involvement with prostate cancer. There is an opportunity to ask questions and learn first hand about all the treatments available and how others deal with the side effects.
The second hour of our meeting includes doctors and other medical specialists who make presentations and take questions about various aspects prostate cancer.
The Manitoba Prostate Cancer Support Group does not recommend treatment modalities, medications or physicians. All information is, however, freely shared.
Average attendance per meeting is approximately 55 people.